Monday, January 4, 2010

Fireproof


I rented the movie Fireproof from the library a few months ago. (See how far behind I am on this blog? But it will all come together--hopefully!) Anyway, I loved it! It was a little predictable in parts but it made me think. To evaluate myself and how I treat Todd. Do I put him first? Do I put his needs before my own? Do I show him love everyday? And I love that the movie talked about our Heavenly Father and how He needs to be a part of our lives and marriages. For the rare few who actually read this blog there is a book called The Love Dare that is like the one in the movie. I'd love to read it--if you have leave a comment about it!
So why am I writing about this now? Glad you asked! I was reading the November ensign last night and found a wonderful talk by President Eyring. It is entitled Our Perfect Example. In it Pres Eyring talks about love and how it can motivate us to become more like the Savior. And he says that our families are the ideal setting for us to learn how to love as He loves. His counsel to husbands and wives was this:
"Pray for the love which allows you to see the good in your companion. Pray for love that makes weaknesses and mistakes seem small. Pray for love to make your companion's joy your own. Pray for the love to want to lessen the load and soften the sorrows of your companion."
I loved this paragraph. And as I was sitting there thinking about the goals I wanted to make for the New Year,(yes, I'm a few days late!) I knew this had to be one of them. I feel like sometimes I get wrapped up in taking care of my children and fretting over if my house will ever be clean again etc. . .and when it comes to Todd I kind of put him on the back burner. Not that I don't show him love and appreciation cause I do but it needs to be more of a priority for me. So that's one of my goals for the New Year. What about you? Share one of your goals!

3 comments:

reanna said...

I need to remember that prayer and insert it into mine. First time I am visiting your blog. I really enjoyed it Thank you. I can totally relate about depriving my husband as he sits next to me and agrees. I read it aloud to him and wasnt sure I was goin to make it through without a tear. Great thoughts for us to share together. XOXO

Mare said...

Wow Reanna--I just barely saw your comment. I am so behind on this blog. I really need to get it going again. Thanks for visiting. I'm glad I could type something worth reading--that quote is one of my favorites.

Sarah said...

Enjoying your blog today as well! Loved that talk by pres Eyring - thanks 4 the reminder! (printed out the quote so I could hang it up somewhere)
luv u