Sunday, August 9, 2009

Prayer


"I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go." Abraham Lincoln

This quote was shared today in sacrament meeting and I loved it as soon as I heard it. All of the talks were on prayer and I sat there and bawled through the whole thing. It seems the older I get the more I cry :)I asked the Lord this morning to send me a message--to help me learn something for me in sacrament meeting today. My prayer was rather short and truthfully not very heartfelt but I offered nonetheless because I felt I needed to. The woman who spoke based her talk on the ensign article by Elder Eyring in this months ensign--I'm definitely going to have to read that one today! And the two main talks are what I needed to hear. My prayers have been pretty crappy lately when they've been uttered at all. I find I've let my life crowd out things that are of most importance. And at a time when I need the most guidance as I strive to raise his children with a desire to return back to Him. The man who spoke emphasized the importance of daily devotionals where we take the time to feed our souls and receive enlightenment. And his wife shared a story from her life where she needed the Lord's guidance and so she turned her will over to the Lord. She prayed ferevently that His will would be made known in her life. So that's my goal for not just this week or this month but for however long it takes! Because I know it's more of a process of development then a simple thing you can attain and cross off the list. I'm going to give some of my time--which is actually the Lord's anyway--to the Lord. For FEREVENT prayer, and study and just reflection. And strive to give my will to him--to finally come to know what He would have me do. . .and do it.

ETA: A friend posted this on facebook today and I thought it went well with this post:

No comments: