Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Gratitude



With the coming and going of Thanksgiving and the Spirit of the season my thoughts have been drawn to the subject of gratitude. And I've been pondering three of my favorite thoughts and wanted to share them. The first is a poem by Riley. It speaks of envy but I've always applied it to the subject of gratitude. How often am I envious of someone's possessions or talents I don't have instead of seeing the bounteous feast of blessings the Lord has placed before me. Far too often I must admit.

"I saw a man and envied him beside--because of this world's goods he had great store;
but even as I envied him he died, and left me envious no more.
I saw another man and envied still--because he was content with frugal lot;
but as I envied him the rich man's will bequeathed him all and envy I forgot.
Yet still another man I saw, and he I envied for a calm and tranquil mind
that nothing fretted in the least degree--until alas! I found that he was blind.
What vanity is envy! For I found that I have been rich in dross of thought, and poor
in that I was a fool, and lastly blind--for never having seen myself before."
James Whitcomb Riley

My next 2 thoughts have always just been my favorites. Probably because they relay a message I need to hear---over and over again!

"Think to thank. In these 3 words are the finest capsule course for a happy marriage, a formula for enduring friendship, and a pattern for personal happiness."
Thomas S Monson

"When you finally develop a little gratitude in your heart, make up your mind to express it. 'Appreciation unexpressed is not appreciation'. If you can't find someone to say thank you to for something, just take a look at your toothbrush and say, 'Thank you for being. You are a wonderful little gadget!'

'Thank you' is a wonderful phrase. Use it. It will add stature to your soul. Never let a day go by without saying thank you to someone for something--and especially to your Heavenly Father." Marjorie Pay Hinckley

(the last quote is from the book "Glimpses into the life and heart of Marjorie Pay Hinckley". I love this book---READ IT!

No comments: